Why join us?
The chorus offers:
- The chance to perform as part of Leeds International Concert Season
- Musical development and training from professionals including our renowned Music Director David Hill and latest chorus master – Richard Wilberforce.
- The opportunity to sing large scale choral works with repertoire ranging from Bach to Wilby
- Sing alongside professional soloists and be accompanied by leading orchestras such as the BBC
- European tours every two years
- Rehearsals at St George’s Church every Thursday evening 7.00 pm to 9.15 pm (September to June)
- A voice test with the chorus master after a few rehearsals sitting in – don’t panic over this – it is done gently !
- An annual subscription. The annual fee for 2016/17 is £180 standard (£60 a term). (Discounts for unwaged/on benefits are available – currently £35 PA). Students £15 PA. All payments can be made by up to 10 instalments if required. For new members the 1st annual fee is reduced to £100 PA as it is recognised that uniforms and some music etc will need to be purchased.
- Ladies need to buy our current performance uniform – which is a red tunic to be worn with black trousers or long black skirt.
- Gentlemen need to have a dinner jacket and black bow tie – elastic ones Ok !
- Members are also expected to buy their own copies of Messiah (we perform it every two years) and “100 Carols for choirs” both cheaply available from Amazon and other such vendors for around £9 and £18 respectively new.
You’re welcome to just turn up and just sit in on any rehearsal, though if we’re coming up to a concert we may ask you not to join in if we are at a critical point. If you decide you would like to apply to join us, then we’ll ask you to complete our initial application form.